This is a very simple and visual way to introduce fractions to young children.
Other ways to teach fractions:
- Cooking: introduce the language by having them find the correct measurements (1/2 tbsp, 2/3 cup, etc.); slice the food in half, or fill up half way
- Crafts: cut the paper in half or fourths
- Telling time: quarter past 1, half past 2
- Sharing: give someone half
- Any time you are referring to part of something
How to do:
3 Black paper plates
- Cut out the following from a piece of paper (make 2 of each): 1, 2, 3, 4, /
- Decorate the paper plates and make them into cats.
- Cut one plate in half, one plate in thirds, and one plate in fourths.
- Create fractions with the cut plates and label each with the correct numbers.
Los Gatos Black on Halloween by Marisa Montes and Yuyi Morales is a delightful poem about different Halloween creatures going to a Halloween ball. It contains a handful of Spanish words introduced throughout the book and there is a glossary in the back, but the words are easily interpreted. The book has received the following award: 2007 Bank Street Best Children’s Book of the Year, 2008 Pura Belpre Medal for Illustration, and Pura Belpre Honor Book for Narrative.